You can really make this!
Feeds 6 people
- 2 pounds Turnips
- 1 Bacon
- 3 oz REAL maple syrup
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Cut Bacon into 1/4″ strips- hint- bacon is much easier to work with when it is frozen.
- Place the cut bacon into a warm sauté pan and cook until golden brown.
- Remove the bacon pieces from the pan and leave 1/4 of the amount of fat in the pan. The rest of the fat should be saved for another use.
- As we are early in the turnip season, there is no reason to peel the turnips. Just cut the two ends off and then cut the turnips into quarters. As the season moves on, you will need to peel the turnip skin as the skins will get tougher.
- Take the turnip greens and soak in a large bowl of water and rid the greens from any dirt. Cut the stems and throw them away. We just want the leaves.
- Heat the bacon fat in the pan and add the pieces of turnip- sauté at a high heat until the turnips get tender. (About 8 minutes)
- Add Maple syrup, salt and pepper and the turnip tops and sauté until the greens just begin to get wilted.
- Serve with your favorite entree!
PS - if you don’t like the PIG- sub bacon fat for olive oil and leave the bacon pieces out of the dish- it will be yummy too!