Serves 6 people
- 1 diced medium Spanish Onion
- 4 T. Chopped garlic
- 2 diced Poblano Chilis- no seeds
- 8 ears of shucked corn Kernels
- 1 pound diced shrimp (no shells)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1T crushed red pepper flaked
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 T Baking Powder
- 2 cups seltzer water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 whole eggs
- Sweat the onion, garlic and poblanos in olive oil until translucent ~Add the corn and red pepper flakes and cook for about 4 more minutes.
- In a separate pan sauté the shrimp pieces in olive oil at high heat only until the shrimp changes color- DO NOT OVER COOK THEM!
- Place flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl- ~ add the eggs and mix the seltzer into the mixture with a fork- you are looking for a thick consistency- think soft but not melted ice cream.
- Add shrimp pieces and preseason the mixture and let it sit for 20 minutes- DO NOT OVER MIX THE BATTER OR IT WILL GET GUMMY!
- In a medium sauté pan- preheat with olive oil and take large spoon full of the shrimp and corn batter and place in the hot oil.
- Flip after about 3 minutes and cook till golden brown on both sides.
- Once they are done, place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Serve to your happy guests with slices of lemon and lime- ~ a great light garnish would be julienne radishes, jicama and red onion tossed in a bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper!