Ingredients for Curing
- 1 7-8 pound brisket
- 5 0z. salt
- 5 oz. sugar
- 2 oz. mustard seeds
- 1 oz. garlic powder
- 1 oz. ground ginger
- 1/2 oz. crushed red pepper
- 4 oz rice wine vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then coat the entire brisket
- Place in a casserole dish, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Cure for 1-2 days.
Ingredients for Braising
- bottle prosecco
- 2 qts. water
- 1 whole piece of ginger (sliced in half)
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 4 oz. honey
- 5 oz. rice wine vinegar
- 2 heads of green cabbage (cut into eighths)
- 10 oz. kimchi
I prefer the chunks of kimchi. Depending upon your heat threshold, you can rinse the kimchi in cold water. If you spice, use everything from the jar.
- Rinse all of the dry rub off of the brisket.
- Place brisket in a large pot.
- Add all braising ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for approximately 3.5 hours, or until tender.
When the meat is tender, season with salt and pepper.
This is absolutely delicious when served with garlic mashed potatoes or potato latkes. Of course, serve a bit of kimchi on the side. Just look how beautiful it is! Oh, and don’t forget the Smithwick’s.