Wendy Maitland’s Cream of Mushroom soup!
Cost approximately $50, (cheap!), time approximately 45 minutes.
Feeds 8 people
- 1/4 cup olive oil (pour in 1 quart sauce pan)
- 1/2 Spanish onion- chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- About a cup and a half chicken broth
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and sliced into about 1/4 inch strips
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (aka Pennsylvania Whites)
- 1.5 cups shitake mushrooms --- no stems
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sautee onion in heated olive oil until translucent.
- Add white wine.
- Let simmer for a few minutes while slicing potato and mushrooms.
- Add broth to pot
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- When the broth comes to a boil, add the potatoes
- Cook potato until just tender (not mushy)-about 6 minutes if they're thin enough.
- Add mushrooms
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes, until they are tender.
- Stir in crème fraiche.
- Let mixture simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Blend 1/2 the mixture with butter (butter goes right into blender-not melted), with Salt and Pepper to taste. (Very important- only fill your blender half way and be very careful so you to not have a soup explosion)
- Put the blended mixture back into the pan with the mushrooms, etc, and stir…taste.
- Serve hot.