Here's how to do it for apartment living.
- 1 4-5 lb. whole chicken – trimmed of excess fat and split, backbone removed
- 1 T. fresh rosemary s (56 grams) unsalted butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 T. peeled and corarsely chopped garlic
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Place the chicken on a cutting board, skin side down, and using your hands, press down hard to make it as flat as possible.
- Mix together the rosemary leaves, salt, pepper, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Rub the chicken with the mixture and let marinate for at least 1/2 hour. If you've got time, overnight in the fridge.
- When you're ready, heat up the oven to a smoking-hot 500F.
- Place your oven-proof pan (preferably cast iron) for a couple of minutes then remove from the oven.
- Put the remaining olive oil in the pan and the 2 sprigs of rosemary, then place the chicken, skin side down, in the pan.
- Place your brick on top of the chicken to weigh it down and cook over high heat on the stove for about 5 minutes.
- Then put the chicken in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes more.
- Remove the brick and turn the chicken skin side up and roast about 10 minutes more - a few more minutes for a bigger chicken.
If you have access to a grill, just make sure those coals are hot!