La Caja China Pig Roast Work Sheet Model 1 & 2
Using the Wired Meat Thermometer
1. Place pig between the racks and tie using the 4 S-Hooks.
2. Place pig inside the box skin side down, connect the wired thermometer probe in the
3. Cover box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
4. Add 16 lbs. of charcoal for Model #1 Box or 18lbs. for Model #2 Box and light up.
5. Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid.
6. Cooking time starts right now ______________________ (write you start time).
7. After 1 hour (1st hour) ___________________ add 10 lbs. of charcoal (write time).
8. Continue to add 9 lbs. of charcoal every hour until you reach 187 on the meat thermometer.
9. Once you reach 187, lift the charcoal grid shake it well to remove the ashes, now place it on top of the long handles. Do not place on the grass or floor it will damage them.
10. Remove the ash pan from the box and dispose of the ashes. Make sure you water down the ashes on the ground, they can cause fire.
11. Flip the pig over, to crispy the skin of the pig. This is easily done using our patented Rack System, just grab the end of the Rack lift and slide as you pull upward, using the other hand grab the top end of the other rack and slide it down.
12. Score the skin using a knife, this helps to remove the fat and crisp the skin.
13. Cover the box again with the ash pan and the charcoal grid; do not add more charcoal at this time.
14. After 30 minutes, take a peak by lifting the charcoal pan by one end only. You will continue doing this every 10 minutes until the skin is crispy to your liking.
IMPORTANT: Do not open the box until you reach the desired temperature.